Of all the diseases prevalent in our society, headache, the pain in the head or upper neck, in some form or the other, has become a common problem of our times. It would not be out of place to mention that perhaps no one is spared from this malady. Each one of us has experience a headache of some sort at some time in our life. The most common type of headache is tension headache, often associated with stresses, depression or anxiety. Other common types of headache include migraines, cluster headache and sinus headache. Headache can be chronic, recurrent, or occasional and the pain can be mild or severe.
There are various causes for headache and a comprehensive list of which is not easy to present. But some of the common causes are; when the nervous system of the individual is strained either due to internal or external strain and stress, one develops a headache. Head being the central nervous system which results into head pain. This straining of the nerves can be due to various reasons, such as, high or low blood pressure, gastric trouble, constipation, wind problems, indigestion, sinus, eye pain or trouble, excessive smoking, use of tobacco in any form excessive intake of coffee or tea, intake of alcoholic drinks, lack of proper rest and sleep, anxiety and tension and fatigue.
Although all headache are not same but one thing is common to all types of headache that is headache cause pain.
Some natural home remedies for headache are as follows:
- Apply a paste of freshly ground clay or freshly ground sandalwood to the forehead, let dry, rub of by hand and wash.
- Apply a paste of ground cinnamon on the forehead.
- Eat a banana every time the linger headaches appear.
- Paste a fresh mint leaf on the part of the head where the pain is most severe.
- Mix a cup of water with a cup of apple cider vinegar and bring it to boil. Put a towel over the head and bend over the pot. Inhale and exhale deeply through nose for about 10 minutes.
- Apply the crusts of lemon on the forehead.
- Inhale the fumes of strong mustard several times.
- Drink a glass of juice everyday by adding grind ginger root to it.
- Apply an ice pack to the painful area of the head.
- Take a warm shower or nap or walk.
- Massage your neck, back, shoulder, forehead and temples.
- Massage the head with rosemary.
- Put slice cucumbers on the forehead.
The people suffering from headache,
- Should not take more than two cups of tea or coffee a day.
- Should stop smoking and alcoholic drinks.
- The patient should sleep for 6 to 8 hours everyday.
- Should avoid being tense or angry.
- Should live in such environment where plenty of fresh air is available.
- Fruits and green vegetables should be taken daily along with other dishes of the day.
- Must not eat fried and roasted things.
- Should drink 10 to 15 glasses of water everyday.
- Should eat lightly and avoid spices.
- Should exercise regularly.
- By doing some yoga asanas one can also cure from headache.